Whether you’ve recently relocated to New York after serving another state as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Nurse Practitioner or have recently graduated from Nursing School and are looking for your first nursing adventure, travel nurse jobs are fulfilling, financially competitive and abundant in New York State. Interested in becoming a nurse in New York? Great!
The journey to a life as a practicing RN in New York is as simple as filling out a few forms. To further ease the process for you, we’ve provided a quick rundown of process and forms you’ll complete.
Nurses currently licensed in another state should begin their application process by completing an Application for Licensure. The form can be found on the NYSED website. Once completed, send the form and a check for $143.00 to NYSED for approval, along with the following documents.
- Certification of Professional Education: Fill out this form.
- Those who have been educated outside of the United States will need to have their credentials verified by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS). Fill out this form.
- Verification of licensure in another state.
Once you’ve been approved, you’re ready to start your professional nursing career in New York! Your next step is finding a job. There are many staffing agencies, travel nursing companies, home healthcare services, and other medical practices that need your expertise. Some will even pay (or reimburse you for) your licensure fees. Start researching your options as soon as possible. Our blog provides a wealth of information for anyone seeking to start a nursing career in New York and the surrounding area.
For your convenience, we’ve compiled the possible forms you will need to successfully secure licensing and certification as a RN or LPN in New York State.
- Application For Licensure: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/nurse/nurse1.pdf
- Certification of Professional Education: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/nurse/nurse2.pdf
- Certification of Equivalent U.S Armed Forces Education for LPN Licensure: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/nurse/nurse2af.pdf
- Verification of Other Professional Licensure/Certification: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/nurse/nurse3.pdf
- Application for Limited Permit: http://http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/nurse/nurse3.pdf